Waterfowl Outfitting Permit
General Info - Statewide Permit
A permit issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources to operate a commercial waterfowl guiding service. An individual must possess a waterfowl outfitter license if the individual receives monetary compensation from hunters for providing personal guiding services to hunt wild waterfowl. A person who is licensed as a waterfowl outfitter is also entitled to serve as a waterfowl hunting guide.
Obtaining the Permit
Ready to get your permit? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must possess a valid Maryland hunting license.
Must have one of following sources of experience:
- previously licensed by the Wildlife and Heritage Service as a Master Hunting Guide, or
- have been licensed by the Wildlife and Heritage Service as a waterfowl hunting guide for two seasons during which the applicant worked as a waterfowl hunting guide for a licensed waterfowl outfitter.
In the preceding 3-year period, the applicant may not have been convicted of two or more violations arising out of a separate set of circumstances of any state or federal migratory game bird laws or regulations pertaining to:
- hunting with the aid of bait
- exceeding the daily bag limit
- hunting with the aid of live decoys
- violation of shooting hours
- hunting during a closed season
- waterfowl outfitting and guiding
Apply for the Permit
Download the application .PDF file
Maintaining Your Permit
Renewal and maintenance -
Maintaining your Permit (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain Permit/stay in good standing)
A licensed waterfowl outfitter or waterfowl hunting guide shall maintain accurate and complete records as provided in this regulation.
The waterfowl outfitter shall maintain a list that contains the following information for each waterfowl hunting guide the waterfowl outfitter employs: (1) Full name; (2) Waterfowl hunting guide license number; (3) Address of residence; (4) Birth date; and (5) Telephone number.
The waterfowl hunting guide working for the outfitter shall maintain a field record updated within 24 hours following the completion of a hunting day that contains the following information for each hunter:
(1) Full name;
(2) Address of residence;
(3) Valid hunting license number;
(5) Number and species of wild waterfowl that were killed by each hunter;
(6) Name and waterfowl hunting guide license number of the accompanying waterfowl hunting guide.
What laws and regulations give Department of Natural Resources the legal authority to issue this approval?