Stationary Engineers Grade 3 License Details

Stationary Engineers Grade 3 License

General Info - Statewide License

Grade 3 license - Operates 100-299 HP equipment.

  • s

    Approval time

  • $50.00

    Application cost

Obtaining the License

Ready to get your license? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents

  1. Possess at least ONE of the following qualifications:

    1. ) Two years' experience as active MD Grade 4 or 5; OR

    2.) One year experience as active MD Grade 4 or 5, and six credit hours or CEUs in boiler operations or safety; OR

    3.) Valid marine engineer's certificate or chief petty officer's certificate from the United States Navy; OR

    4.) Equivalent experience to 1, 2, or 3 above may be submitted to the Board for consideration and approval.

  2. Pass an examination with a score of at least 70%.

  3. Work summary data sheet and/or valid marine officer's certificate and/or chief petty officer's certificate

Apply for the License

  • Online Application

    Complete the form

    Apply Now

Maintaining Your License

Renewal and maintenance -

Maintaining your License (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain License/stay in good standing)

  1. Submit a renewal application.

  2. Pay renewal fee.


License Issuer - Information

Who issues the license?

Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation

Contact Information

NaTerra Bailey


Tel: (410) 230-6163 / Fax: (410) 244-0977

Work hours:


Why the License is required?

To ensure that qualified individuals provide stationary engineer services:

  • oversee the operation of a power plant,
  • plant of machinery, or
  • boiler.

Each generating pressure of more than 15 PSI and operating at 30 or more horsepower (HP).

Or a hot water boiler that operates at pressures exceeding 160 psig or temperatures exceeding 250° F;

  1. To protect the public,  
  2. Provide safe operation of equipment, and  
  3. Promote high professional standards.

Legal Authority

What laws and regulations give Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation the legal authority to issue this approval?