Stationary Engineers Grade 1 License Details

Stationary Engineers Grade 1 License

General Info - Statewide License

License issued by the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation. Grade 1 license - Operates 500 or more HP equipment

  • s

    Approval time

  • $65.00

    Application cost

Obtaining the License

Ready to get your license? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents

  1. Possess at least ONE of the following qualifications:

    Five years of documented experience as an active MD Grade 2 under the direction and control of a licensed MD Grade;

    One year of credit for six credit hours or CEUs in boiler safety or operations;

    One year of credit for holding a current active license as a:

    Master plumber;

    Master heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration contractor;

    Master restricted heating, ventilation, and air conditioning contractor; OR

  2. Four-year mechanical engineering degree from an accredited university or college; OR

  3. Licensure as a professional engineer, including:

    One year of documented experience as a professional engineer; AND

    One year of documented experience as a MD Grade 2 under the direction and control of a MD Grade 1; OR

  4. A valid marine engineer's certificate or chief petty officer's certificate from the United States Navy with documentation of steam boiler engineer training; OR

  5. Equivalent experience to 1, 2, 3, or 4 above may be submitted to the Board for consideration and approval.

  6. Pass an examination with a score of at least 70%.

  7. Work summary data sheet and/or valid marine officer's certificate and/or chief petty officer's certificate, and/or copy of master plumber/master or master restricted HVACR license, and/or any documentation proving equivalent experience to Grade 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Apply for the License

  • Online Application

    Complete the form

    Apply Now

Maintaining Your License

Renewal and maintenance -

Maintaining your License (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain License/stay in good standing)

  1. Submit a renewal application.

  2. Pay renewal fee.


License Issuer - Information

Who issues the license?

Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation

Contact Information

NaTerra Bailey


Tel: (410) 230-6163 / Fax: (410) 244-0977

Work hours:


Why the License is required?

To ensure that qualified individuals provide stationary engineer services:

  • oversee the operation of a power plant,
  • plant of machinery, or
  • boiler.

Each generating pressure of more than 15 PSI and operating at 30 or more horsepower (HP).

Or a hot water boiler that operates at pressures exceeding 160 psig or temperatures exceeding 250° F;

  1. To protect the public,  
  2. Provide safe operation of equipment, and  
  3. Promote high professional standards.

Legal Authority

What laws and regulations give Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation the legal authority to issue this approval?