Regulated Shooting Area Permit Details

Regulated Shooting Area Permit

General Info - Statewide Permit

Permit issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. A RSA Permit allows the holder of the permit to raise and release properly marked, captive-raised birds. 

A Regulated Shooting Area (RSA) is a tract of land, including any waters, on which the licensee may release and shoot captive-raised pheasant, bobwhite quail, chukar partridge, Hungarian partridge, turkeys (turkeys may be released only by those permitted to do so before September 1, 1992) and mallard ducks.

  • s

    Approval time

  • $150.00

    Application cost

Obtaining the Permit

Ready to get your permit? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents

  1. If releasing and hunting free-flying mallard ducks, the number of free-flying mallard ducks to be released and an annual habitat management plan must be submitted with the application.

  2. A certificate of Insurance or an insurance binder number. If self-employed or employ only family members, applicant is not required to comply with this law.

  3. An applicant must submit a copy of a tax map on which the applicant has delineated the tract of land to be permitted, demonstrating the property meets the minimum size requirements outlined here.

  4. The species the person seeks authority to raise, release, and hunt.

Apply for the Permit

Ready to apply?

  • Online Application
  • Download form

    Download the application .PDF file

    Download Form

Maintaining Your Permit

Renewal and maintenance -

Maintaining your Permit (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain Permit/stay in good standing)

  1. Annual renewal is required.

  2. An annual report must be filed with the Wildlife and Heritage Service by April 30th.

  3. An annual report and a habitat management plan must be submitted before the permit can be renewed.


Permit Issuer - Information

Who issues the permit?

Department of Natural Resources

Contact Information

Permits Coordinator


Tel: (410) 260-8540 / Fax: (410) 260-8596

Work hours:

Legal Authority

What laws and regulations give Department of Natural Resources the legal authority to issue this approval?