Reciprocal Recognition Of Out Of State Radioactive Materials Licenses Details

Reciprocal Recognition Of Out Of State Radioactive Materials Licenses

General Info - Statewide License

As an Agreement State under the Atomic Energy Act, Maryland is obliged to recognize radioactive material license issued by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) or any of the other 37 Agreement States to licensees with out-of-state facilities.

The licensee must, however: 

1. Meet procedural requirements for working in Maryland;

2. Obtain an authorization letter from the Department;

3. Pay a reciprocity fee; and Notify the Department three days (72 hours)prior to working in the State.

  • s

    Approval time

  • $504.0 - $15,800.0

    Application cost

Obtaining the License

Ready to get your license? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents

  1. Fill out the application with all required fields.

Apply for the License

Ready to apply?

  • Online Application
  • Download form

    Download the application .PDF file

    Download Form


License Issuer - Information

Who issues the license?

Maryland Department of Environment

Contact Information

Jim Lewis


Tel: (410) 537-3301

Legal Authority

What laws and regulations give Maryland Department of Environment the legal authority to issue this approval?

FEDERAL: Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended, ยง274b.

STATE: Environment Article, Title 8; COMAR Section C.90.