Open Air Burning Permit Details

Open Air Burning Permit

General Info - Statewide Permit

A permit is required for open air burning for fire activities in woodlands, within 200 feet of woodlands, or activities adjacent to or within an area where flammable materials that could ignite and carry fire to woodland are located.  To obtain a Maryland Forest Service Open Air Burning permit, contact your local Forest Service Office.

Under prolonged or unusual conditions conducive to the easy starting and spread of wildfire, the Director may declare a complete ban on all open air burning in woodland or in areas of flammable material likely to carry fire to woodland, through the state or in any specific area.

The permit does not apply inside the limits of incorporated towns or to small recreational fires such as campfires.

  • s

    Approval time

  • $0.00

    Application cost

Obtaining the Permit

Ready to get your permit? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents

  1. For areas greater than 1 acre, a burn plan is required.

  2. A burn plan may be required at the discretion of the ranger or forester issuing the permit for areas less than 1 acre.

Apply for the Permit

  • Online Application

    Complete the form

    Apply Now

Maintaining Your Permit

Renewal and maintenance -

Maintaining your Permit (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain Permit/stay in good standing)

  1. Applicant is responsible for compliance with all other federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances relating to open air burning, including air quality regulations. Contact your local Environmental Health Department for more information on air quality regulations and permit applicability.


Permit Issuer - Information

Who issues the permit?

Department of Natural Resources

Contact Information

Maryland Forest Service - Monte Mitchell


Tel: (410) 260-8531 / Fax: (410) 260-8595

Work hours:


Why the Permit is required?

To protect woodlands, property, and life from uncontrolled fire.

Legal Authority

What laws and regulations give Department of Natural Resources the legal authority to issue this approval?