Offshore Blind and Shoreline Licensing for Riparian Landowners Details

Offshore Blind and Shoreline Licensing for Riparian Landowners

General Info - Statewide Permit

A permit for any person owning riparian property in Maryland to license their shoreline and, if desired, to establish an offshore duck blind.

Any riparian landowner, regardless of how much shoreline they own, may license their shoreline to prevent the shoreline from being licensed at a later date by someone else. Once a stretch of shoreline is licensed, no other person may receive a license for the same shoreline, whether or not the original licensee establishes a stationary blind or blind site. Riparian landowners wishing to establish an offshore blind must either own at least 250 yards of continuous shoreline or they must have written permission from adjoining neighbors to total at least 250 yards of continuous shoreline, except that a riparian landowner who does not own or have written permission for shoreline totaling at least 250 yards may still establish a blind site (but not a stationary blind) if no other shoreline is licensed within 125 yards of the blind site. If an applicant submits an application and the location of the blind fails to meet the 125-yard test, the shoreline will still be licensed only.

  • - s

    Approval time

  • $20.00 - $60.00

    Application cost

Obtaining the Permit

Ready to get your permit? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents

  1. In addition to the application, a map must be included showing the exact location of the shoreline to be licensed and the exact location of the proposed offshore blinds, if any.

Apply for the Permit

Maintaining Your Permit

Renewal and maintenance -

Maintaining your Permit (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain Permit/stay in good standing)

  1. Permit may be renewed annually or every three years.


Permit Issuer - Information

Who issues the permit?

Department of Natural Resources

Contact Information

Permits Coordinator


Tel: (410) 260-8540 / Fax: (410) 260-8596

Work hours:

Legal Authority

What laws and regulations give Department of Natural Resources the legal authority to issue this approval?