Handgun Qualification License - Training Exempt
General Info - Statewide License
A Maryland license issued by the Secretary that authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun.
Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component:
1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. These individuals do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
Obtaining the License
Ready to get your license? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents
If a question is answered yes to any of the questions on the application then corresponding documentation must be submitted.
Documentation of training exemption.
Apply for the License
Complete the formApply Now
Maintaining Your License
Renewal and maintenance -
Maintaining your License (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain License/stay in good standing)
Submit the renewal application 90 days prior to expiration.
What laws and regulations give Maryland Department of State Police the legal authority to issue this approval?
Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Title 5, Annotated Code of Maryland, Criminal Law Title 4, Criminal Law Title 4, Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) Title 29