Rental Housing License
General Info - Statewide License
Required for the owner of a dwelling unit to rent or lease a dwelling unit in Howard County, Maryland.
Valid for 2 years
$20.00 - $93.50
Obtaining the License
Ready to get your license? - Steps, Requirements, and Documents
The application shall include:
- A description of the dwelling unit by unit number (if appropriate), house number, street name, zip code, and the name of the complex if the dwelling unit is located in a named complex; AND
The name and address of:
- The owner of record and the managing operator;
- If the owner is a corporation, the name and address of the resident agent; and
- The homeowners association or common ownership community, if applicable; AND
The name and business address of an adult individual who:
- Is a resident of Maryland;
- Is customarily present is a business office in Maryland; and
- Who shall be designated by the owner as the owner's authorized agent for receiving notices, court process, and other papers on behalf of the owner; however, an owner who is a natural person, resident of Maryland, and who is customarily present in a business office in Maryland may designate themselves as the authorized agent; AND
- The type of dwelling unit;
- The number of units and stories;
- Date and type of construction;
- Type of smoke detectors;
- Type of heating system;
- Type of water heating;
- Source of water;
- Type of sewage disposal; and
- Certification from the homeowner that the homeowner association or common ownership community fees for that dwelling unit are not more than 30 days past due.
After submitting an application the Director (director of Howard County Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits or the Director's Authorized Designee) shall inspect the dwelling. The Director shall issue a license if the dwelling unit meets the requirements of the Howard County Property Maintenance Code for Rental Housing.
Apply for the License
Ready to apply?
Maintaining Your License
Renewal and maintenance - Valid for 2 years
Maintaining your License (aka Related forms/requirements to maintain License/stay in good standing)
A rental license may be renewed after two years if the dwelling unit continues to meet the requirements of the Howard County Property Maintenance Code for Rental Housing and has provided updated information in the rental license application.
The Director may enter a dwelling unit at a reasonable time to make inspections for the protection and promotion of public safety, health and welfare.