Handgun Qualification License - Training Exempt
A Maryland license issued by the Secretary that authorizes a person to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun.
Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component:
1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. These individuals do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
How to get your license?
Obtaining the License
Steps, requirements and documents
If a question is answered yes to any of the questions on the application then corresponding documentation must be submitted.
Documentation of training exemption.
How do I apply?
Apply or register
How do I maintain or renew my license?
Maintaining Your License
Renewal after 10 Years
You may need to meet or abide by all of the following requirements
in order to maintain or renew your license
Submit the renewal application 90 days prior to expiration.